Migraine Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment in Dubai
Migraine headaches can be extremely debilitating and may be accompanied by symptoms such as vomiting, light and sound sensitivity, and more. In fact, according to the World Health Organization (WHO), migraine is the 8th most disabling disease in terms of capacity days per year lived. As such, effective migraine headache treatment is crucial for those who suffer from this condition.
What is Migraine?
Migraine is a neurological disorder that manifests itself in an intense or severe headache, which makes it an extremely disabling disease for people who suffer from it.
It affects the frontal part or the entire area of the skull and appears in the form of attacks. It may be accompanied by other symptoms.
These attacks can present themselves in the following ways:
When the pain appears up to 9 days a month, we will speak of infrequent episodic attacks;
or very frequent episodic if there is pain between 10 and 14 a month.
When there are 15 or more problem days per month.
What are the Types of Migraine?
1. Migraine without aura
It causes severe pain, which interferes with normal activity, and its main symptoms are:
Pain on one side of the head, although in some cases it can spread throughout the head. In some cases, it is a throbbing pain (the heartbeat is felt). Less commonly, the pain may be felt as neck pain or may extend to the jaw.
The pain appears spontaneously and usually lasts more than 4 hours and less than 3 days. In children and teenagers, attacks can last less than 4 hours.
Physical Activity and Migraine
Physical activity and movement of the head make the pain worse. It can cause intolerance to light (photophobia), sounds (phonophobia), and smells (osmophobia). Also nausea and vomiting.
Migraine without aura is the most common form of migraine
2. Migraine with aura
It is distinguished from migraine without aura by the appearance of other symptoms (aura), which can affect different senses: sight, touch, and/or language.
These symptoms often precede the pain and, less frequently, may appear during or after the pain.
Seek Treatment from a Trusted Migraine Specialist in Dubai
- Sharp, deep and pulsating, as if they were hitting the head
- Only affects half of the head. In some cases, it can appear in the frontal part or in the entire cranial area.
- Gradual, since it starts mildly and increases as the hours go by
- Light, noise, and movement often make the pain worse.
- The same pain can last from hours to 2 or 3 days
Other Additional Symptoms of Migraine Pain
- Hypersensitivity to odors
- Nasal congestion and/or discharge
- Nausea or vomiting
- Light intolerance (photophobia)
- Phobia of loud noises (phonophobia)
The origin of migraine is a combination of environmental and genetic factors. Some families are especially prone to it and genetics influences the type of migraine that affected people suffer.
Common genetic variants
Scientific studies have identified different genetic variants that are very important in the multiplication of migraines in the same family. For example, three Mendelian genes are associated with hemiplegic migraine (a severe form of migraine) and, more importantly, polygenic inheritance, which involves the intervention of a group of specific genes with different versions (alleles), which interact with each other to cause the manifestation of this disease.
- Psychological: stress, anxiety, and depression.
- Bad sleep habits: sleeping too much or too little.
- Dehydration: It is important to drink enough water to stay hydrated, as dehydration can trigger migraine episodes.
- Hormonal: menstruation or ovulation.
- Diet: Due to bad dietary habits such as excess alcohol or caffeine, foods with nitrites, aspartame, and monosodium glutamate.
- Skipping meals, feeling hungry, having low blood sugar levels, etc.
- Pharmacological: nitroglycerin, estrogens, analgesics…
- Sudden changes in physical activity.
- Headache or neck pain, of another origin.
- Changes in the environment: seasonal or weather changes, changes in atmospheric Pressure.
- Sensory stimuli:
- Visual stress -as a result of sunlight- prolonged exposure to a computer screen, or other intense or intermittent lights.
- Strong odors, such as perfume, incense, cleaning products, tobacco smoke, or pollution.
- Loud and/or constant noises.
Migraine is a chronic disease that will accompany you throughout your life, at different times. Although it does not carry a risk of death, in some cases it can cause disability.
There is no curative treatment, but it is a manageable disease. Your doctor will tell you the most appropriate way to control the disease and improve your quality of life.
The success of a treatment is measured by the reduction in the frequency or severity of pain.
Schedule an appointment with one of the best Physiotherapists in Dubai today
At Physiowell Clinic, we are experts in the treatment of Migraines and other headache types. With the aim of providing comprehensive care to our patients, we have different medical specialties. Schedule an appointment at Physiowell today. Feel free to call us at +971 (4) 269 2121 or email us at email@example.com.
Physiowell comprises one of the best migraine doctors in Dubai, and that is proven by the patient Google and Physiowell Doctify reviews who have been previously suffering pain and discomfort with various types of migraines and headaches before healing through our physiotherapy, chiropractic, and osteopathy treatment programs.